Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Barley--Try Something New

Are you intentionally trying new foods in 2012? If not, I strongly suggest everyone try a new food at least bi-weekly. Most of the best foods for us are not customary to the Western world. A lot of them are recently showing up in our health food stores and a few of our high end grocers; but many pass right by then. Well, Barley is a super food. A few days ago, this dish was posted on a social network and many had questions about barley. I looked it up hoping for a rather simple nutrition explaining but could not give one. It had at least eight different categories that elaborated on why it's so important to eat that encouraged the inquirers to go to http://www.whfoods.org/. It can substitute rice in your meals.

My dish:
 Barley (cooked just like rice); Green Split Peas (stewed down with onions and garlic); and Soya Chunks as my meat substitute which was soaked, seasoned and sautéed with herbs.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea of cooking barley like rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious about those soya chunks. I'm gonna have to come for a sample the next time you make them.

    ReplyDelete