Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lawd Have Mercy on us with Student Loans!!

I finally decided after 12 days to find out how much, if any my LS's actually moved and it instantly depressed me. I got sick to my stomach knowing that after doubling my payment not the entire second payment went totally to the principal.Thankfully, majority of it did while the regular payment was devoured by interest.

Yeah, yeah it will get better over time but "good God almighty" this is totally unbearable. It's so bad that some days I wonder if going to college was even worth all this headache. You know they say higher education will ensure a higher salary than those with only a high school diploma, right? Well, right about now with the economy the way it is, the educated folks seems to have the wrong end of the stick.

Don't believe me, look at it this way then; if one person from each world gets laid off, who has more debt to pay? Who may have more bills left over once the unemployment income finishes? Who may have to cut more extra curriculum activities to survive? Let's face it, traditionally, people tend to spend more as their income increases; hence they will have a more dramatic fall than others in "my" opinion. I intentionally excluded the notion that they have savings or emergency accounts since most Americans do not and yes we all should.

Now back to the ridiculous things many people have which, by the way, may be twice there income. I'm shouting it loudly, I hate having student loans and by God it's turning my stomach as I compose this post. I know my AP and I just had a chat via text to bring me back on the bright side and I said it was time for bed; however, I had to get this foolishness off my chest until next month. And ironically, I was so excited about throwing two payments at it and did up until I decided to see what if any difference it made. I made those payments on the tenth of February and I finally checked the difference tonight hence this post.

What is my solution to paying off my student loans currently? Well, eating as much bean, veggies and drinking plenty of water because everything else might just be a treat.

Yes, I am Earth Vibez and SL's payments should be forgiven and/or the payees should get tax breaks like the Wall Street greedy Corporations.

3 comments:

  1. Did you crawl in my head and steal my thoughts? LOL Because I agree with you completely. I am finally at the point now where my salary is more than the balance on my SLs. And that took several years.

    I started repayment in 2006, and from then until 2010, my balance only decreased by $2000. I was paying just over the minimum balance which obviously went to interest. During that time however, I was doing other things. Paying off my car, paying off another small education loan from my local government, and building an emergency fund.

    When I was done with the emergency fund, I used all the money I was funneling to those other places directly to my SLs. That's when I started seeing a difference. I saw a drastic impact in 2011. But I still wasn't as tight on the budget as I could have been, still shopping and spending a bit frivolously. I've reigned that in as well and now throw every extra cent to them (with the exception of a bit of travel planned) .

    But all in all, I get what you are saying. I understand your frustration because I was right there and still am there because I'm still working to pay them off. Tough now my balance is lower, I can actually see some movement in the negative.

    Keep going EV, it will get better. And think about all the interest you'll save by attacking this. Great Job and I will keep encouraging you. I'll check in often.

    What I do know, is that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done college VERY differently. Very. That's why they say hind sight is 20/20.

    And yeah, we know it's our debt to re-pay, yes we incurred the debt, but that doesn't stop us from getting frustrated and we can vent from time to time. "My prerogative"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AP!!! I'll keep rolling along with this monkey on my back as I do my best to get rid of him ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete