Saturday, October 1, 2011

Colder weather and your immune system


So, the fall season is in FULL session with its Yo-Yo temperature. On Thursday the low was 60 degrees and on Saturday morning the low was in the 40s. For the average person, it is too much to cope with when it comes to what outdoor activities to plan, whether to shift clothing attire and more importantly; what all they should be doing to stay healthy.

I believe we should keep the stress in our lives at a minimum (easier said than done), get quality sleep, daily exercise, frequent hand washing, an abundance of fruits/veggies in conjunctions with healthy meals and sufficient supplements/vitamin.

Now, with all of that on my immediate radar, I decided to request a nutritional panel test on Thursday during my annual physical. This is indeed a comprehensive test that reveals everything from a nutritional standpoint so I am patiently awaiting my results. Naturally, the basis blood work does not check our vitamin D, B12, protein, enzymes, calcium etc and by the time our bodies’ show signs of alignments, it can be severe. Evidently, R & R is great for the body so I decided to get away for a few days to see some special folks; certainly good for the body.

Through it all, we all have certain products, remedies and practices we comply with annually to help us through the upcoming five to six months of winter.

Hence, I pose the questions to everyone out there: what are some products you keep on hand and what are they used for? What remedies do you use in the event of a cold, flu etc? What are some ways you try to stay “sick free”?


 Do you make an extra effort to minimize your stress level, eat healthier, workout often, get more sleep and/or take quality supplements during this time of the year? Or you haven't thought about it until now:)?

3 comments:

  1. I've never thought about adjusting my lifestyle (stress etc) due to seasonal changes. Those are things I attempt to do all year round (emphasis on ATTEMPT). When I get sick, I'm sure to keep well hydrated and eat lots of clean foods (fruits,veggies). My annual is coming up also so it will be interesting to see how this year has been for me health wise and hopefully I am still on target. Last year's physical, I lost some weight due to stress from work and not working out as much as I used to (pretty much a loss of muscle mass), so hopefully this year my weight is back up. but not TOO MUCH. :) (I only get weighed once a year at my annual)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, the kids and work stressing me! I'm still trying, you know I been struggling

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ms. S-
    I've started to do so recently and it simply helps me re-focus,re-evaluate and re-commit to the most important things in my life (usually the things that may be an external stress may not be applicable at least for a season). Balanced food selection is imperative during the next few months.
    @ Rifa, you and your hubby needs to find a way to minimize the amount of stress coming your way from those 3 kids of yours. And as far as work goes, smh, prayer at work, scripture on lunch and anything else you can think of is key. I hope you stock up on some island products and work to decrease your stress which WILL weaken your immune system.

    ReplyDelete