Monday, October 24, 2011

My First 5k Race-ROCKtoberfrest

The night before my first 5K race; no training here. I infrequently jog some afternoons when time permits but that was about it.  The afternoon before the race, I decided to register and show up early the next morning ready to pick up my package. Nervousness had the best of me as I continuously looked at the clock and think of how cold it would be at 7 am. At that moment it was too late since my registration fee was non refundable. Take a chance and go for it!! I said to myself!!!

After waking up at 2 am hungry and eating a small bowl of cereal, this pre-race meal was too much but nervousness didn't stop me from eating what is above and having hot tea as well.


My nervousness turned into excitement as I witnessed the hundreds of people out to run ROCKtoberfest 2011. By now, I had picked up my t-shirt and speed chip then looked on as the half marathon runners were gearing up to take off.

This is a snap shot of everything worn on race day to make sure the cold weather did not get the best of me and it did not. I was comfy :).
Back at home, I tried to wrap my mind around the past hour but could not so I took visual documentation. It was a challenge especially since my legs felt like they weren't moving; too much food in my tummy, ear piece would not stay in place, right genre but wrong tempo songs and the race ended on a hill (why???). Naturally, I refused to stop and walk but instead kept running until my feet crossed the finish line. By the last mile, I was convinced at least 35 minutes had passed since the race began and without a watch, there was no way of knowing so disappointment slowly crept in. Never give up during the midst of any challenge since victory may be "right" around the corner. Official race time: 29:18 :~).

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! On not only pushing through the mental anxiety, but also other distractions (the wrong song, earpiece issue, etc). You are the bomb.com for sticking with it till the end!

    You finished your FIRST 5k in under 30minutes! That's a GREAT accomplishment!! Bask in the glow girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Kim!!! I really appreciate your continued kind words. I look forward to many more 5Ks and working to beat my original time.

    ReplyDelete