Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer fresh produce--

Is anyone on a fresh produce overload "yet" this summer?

I believe in eating kindly and earthly as possible. Why? Well, it makes me feel at peace that I'm able to survive but more importantly flourish on such a clean diet with treats of course. I absolutely love the summer months for many reasons. We have longer days, less traffic (no school buses--yay), endless vacation options and most importantly, all the local fresh produce.

Early June I traveled to Myrtle Beach and had the chance to shadow my second dad to pick veggies from one of his vegetable fields and was forever changed. I woke up early and was eagerly waiting to officially become a county chick (as my friend put it). As a vegan, I was in heaven as we picked and washed carrots, squash, cucumbers, potatoes, beets, onions etc. I even tried a little salt on a freshly picked cucumber just the way daddy did. Everything he did, I did.

Finally, I roasted red potatoes, carrots, beets and onions "impatiently" in the oven. It was sooo good that I took some with me to a cookout and marveled in my leftovers all weekend long. Since then, I've been eating an abundance of fresh produce from the gardens of friends and colleagues'.

What are some of your favorite fruits & veggies to eat during the summer months? Do you have any current or former memorable summer experiences?

*Regardless of your food preference-everyone is welcome to share their produce faves!!!

7 comments:

  1. Some of my FAVE fruits and veggies to eat during the summer months are squash, zucchini, peaches, watermelon, strawberries and corn on the cob (roasted). I love visiting local fruit/veggie stands in my area to pick/purchase these items.

    My memorable summer experience is bartering with my next door neighbor to use their pool. I cook/grill (items we both purchase) and I have unlimited use of the pool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    Thank you for stopping by EB & N, becoming a member and leaving a comment. I love eating all the fruits/veggies (minus peaches) listed above. Strawberries and I are still not as tight as everything else listed but we're working on our relationship (lol).

    Your bartering is right up my ally indeed; that is something I would have done with a smile from ear to ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites are fruits, but that is a year round obsession. Growing up, my mom kept the fridge stocked with fruits. It was mainly a selfish decision because she loves them too, but we reaped the benefits. So now, like my mother did, I keep fruits around. My favorites are anything in the melon family.

    Your blog is looks like it will be very interesting, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost eat any fruits or veggies year round...however, are they available is usually my issue. Summertime smells like fruit-- watermelon, pineapples, strawberries (any berry), peaches, and squash of course. If i could only get muscadine grapes more than one month a year!! Speaking of muscadine grapes, does anyone love muscadine wine? Wow, nuthin but love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to say my favorite veggie for the summer has to be the yellow and zucchini squash. I actually made a small pot of some yesterday with a little chopped onion mixed in. I can eat that stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And for the fruit, it has to be my precious mangos....luv luv luv them.
    @ Kay.....I tasted muscadine wine for the first time last month and I fell in love with it. I already love the grapes...but the wine is like WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Tashelle,
    Thanks for stopping by, joining and commenting on E B and Nutty. As a born and raised islander, I too absolutely love mangoes. I really miss picking them right off a tree and worst off when I see the ridiculous prices in the store. ):!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of my fave summer fruits and veggies are watermelon, strawberries, tomato, lots n lots of broccoli, cucumber, and corn. This summer is the first time I have ever bought and cooked my own squash, and I absolutely love it.

    A former memorable summer experience would have to be being home in the island and enjoying mangoes, genip, and coconut (to name a few) that my dad would regularly bring home from work.

    ReplyDelete