Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Swimming-I must learn this sport!!!


The sport of swimming and I have collided and we must end up best friends ASAP!!!!

What is the urgency and why now may be questions swirling around in your head right now?? Well, I've decided to train and complete my first Triathlon on July 15, 2012; Ramblin Rose, Rock Hill, SC. It includes swimming, running and biking and currently I'm in the bubble blower category (below the beginners). This is a huge task to achieve since I nearly drowned at Atlanta's Six Flags theme park with a lifeguard standing right there (he tried to tell me to swim as I'm trying but could not tell him I cannot...bad memories). So, I do have pool fears and phobias to overcome as I work on learning how to swim and eventually becoming a great swimmer.

Tri It For Life is a 12 week program that can help you get ready for your Triathlon so with this knowledge and in expensive way of learning how to swim, I signed up for a Triathlon. At first I turned down the dozens of invitations due to my private concerns and circumstances above but reality finally kicked in when I looked at it rationally (12 weeks of training session (16 weeks for bubble blowers) once a week for a nominal cost of $50 along with a mock triathlon; and numerous sessions on running, biking, adequate gear safety and the priceless opportunity to meet other women overcoming their own fears). There are a lot of vital mechanics to learn and it will take plenty of patience and practice to become successful. Naturally, I am grateful not to be a novice runner or bike rider as well (that would be a bit too much even though many ladies are novice in all three categories). I missed my third swimming session while in Charleston, SC for Cooper but I did make it up. It was possible due to finally getting a YMCA membership at an affordable rate thanks to a family plan. 

I picked up my membership card on Thursday and did a solo swim session on Saturday for seventy minutes. I put it on my mental calendar and made myself go even though I really did not want to especially after a hilly 6.2 mile run. The water felt great and I practiced a few of my techniques and successfully back floated from one end of the pool to the next and turned right back around without having to stop. I'm so proud of myself since three weeks ago at the assessment my instructor could not successfully help me float. The next Sunday a different instructor worked with me and I improved a lot. However, I do know it's imperative that I get in the pool weekly to practice. My AP is a runner like myself and since she's working on improving her running skills, she decided to borrow books from the library and suggested I pick up some on swimming. I did; and I'm learning a lot so far (reading the information, seeing it on video and putting it to practice will help me). Three swimming books were read through over the weekend as I worked on my To Do List

Swimming highlight to date:

Finally, I met a gentleman in the pool (4/7/2012) who took one lesson and is now teaching himself how to swim. I was able to pass along a few tips to him and look forward to seeing him in the pool and thriving on his exceptional level of motivation and tenacity to learn how to swim (even if I never see him again).

Last year I picked up running and it came somewhat natural to me and this year it is swimming and "boy" is it a challenge. Nonetheless, I live for a good challenge and this surely is one~swimming. 

My next goal is to explore swimming videos and incorporate swimming into my weekly physical activities ASAP. 



Look out for an update really soon :)! 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post!!!! You really are a go getter, EV! Such great progress in such little time! I'm sure you will definitely be prepared for your tri! I will be cheering you on the entire way! Good luck EV! This post has me beaming and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you Ms. S!!! I'm trying my best here and knowing your positive energy is behind me, I'll keep pushing on until July 15th.

    ReplyDelete