Sunday, September 2, 2012

Freshly picked & tastefully enjoyed



I had not seen my South Carolina daddy for the year so my visit to see him was overdue. In addition, we were in the middle of July so most of his veggies and fruits grown were gone so it was imperative that visit ASAP. I left work early on July 17th, and headed south to see him, visit the fields and get away for a few days. It was a nice escape as always. He lives a few minutes from Myrtle Beach so I spent time there; the highlight of my beach visit was living vicariously through some toddlers having a blast with the sand and waves as carefree as possible. It’s as though I was frozen in time because I did not move from that spot. At times, I simply laughed out loud with and at them. Prior to hitting the beach, I accompanied daddy to one of his fields and we picked all the veggies seen and unseen behind of me. I immediately washed, sliced and oven roasted egg plant, bell peppers and winter squash. I enjoyed that mixture with food prepared prior to hitting the road. I cooked linguine, vegan Italian sausage, steamed mixed veggies & had it with a slice of avocado. I do not travel without food (that's a no no for a vegan in my book). Having food readily available to eat at any given moment makes my trips more enjoyable. I also took apples, oranges, raw almonds, raisins, kale and avocado salad, green tea, brown sugar, oats and perhaps a few other things. Ironically, it was only a two night trip but I eat every two to three hours; hence having plenty of snacks and meals are crucial. I love going home to my lovely master suite, vegetable fields and fruit trees in the year and to see daddy of course, lol.  
I'll be back down there before the year ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment