Friday, January 4, 2013

2012 Student Loan goal and verdict

During my 2012 goal session on Jan, 15, 2012, I decided to begin paying my student loans after years of having them in deferment. I sat here in my living room with my AP and put it on paper. The goal was to shift putting money in my efund which was to an acceptable level to my student loans. I saw a story on ABC News about the government garnishing one's social security and other funds in their old age for not paying their student loan and that stopped me in my tracks as I walked to the kitchen from the living. Right then and there, I decided my student loan vacation was over. 
2012 student loan goal was to make one payment in January and two payments monthly through December. In 2012, I had a very busy lifestyle which led to paying out a lot of unexpected funds but I met my goal. Rather, I exceeded it by paying twenty-nine payments instead of twenty-three payments. Between June and December, I made nine payments alone and it felt good. Naturally, I didn't like making all these payments when I could be putting the money else but I knew it was best to aggressively pay down my loan will I was healthy, young and able to do so. My AP was uber excited that I made so many payments when I shared my success on our end of year goal session on December 30th. Now, as it relates to 2013, I'm unsure if I plan to reach or exceed last year's goal; nonetheless, I do plan on making a minimum of one to two payments monthly when feasible. I have yet to make a dent in my SL; however, I'll keep it at during the coming years.

Do you have a goal you reached in 2012? If so, what was it and how did you reach it? 

2 comments:

  1. Great job EV on not only meeting but surpassing your goal!! That is awesome. And even if you decide to change the goal this year, paying something is better than nothing at all so that the interest doesn't build, increasing your overall balance. Best of luck in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ms.S. January's first payment came out this week. I may schedule another one at the end of the month. Either way, they will get at minimum a payment that matches what I paid per transaction.

    ReplyDelete